What's On This Week?
Mon 26 Aug 2019 to Sun 1 Sep 2019
MONDAY 26TH AUGUST
- NW Women's Cancer Support Group - A new monthly support group for women diagnosed with cancer offering support, information and connection with other women in the Burnie area. 4th Monday of each month. At the Burnie Baptist Church (Sunroom) Mount St, Burnie. Contact Kris Rastovich 6419 4201 for more details.
- Rotary Club Of Devonport South East Pay It Forward Initiative - The Rotary Club Of Devonport South East in conjunction with Libby's Café, in the Hub Arcade Devonport is running a pay it forward initiative to provide funds to the East Devonport Community House, these funds will go towards meals for those that need assistance in our local community. For details contact: Jeff Sharman 0438166778.
- Father’s Day Craft all week if you would like to bring your child/children along to make something special for that important person in their lives please come on in something on every day! 26 Aug-30 Aug every 12:30PM at the Devonport Playhouse pay only $2 at the event. Call (03) 6424 7060 for more details.
TUESDAY 27TH AUGUST
- Questions about Kids - Join Susannah from the Child Health Association of Tasmania here at No. 34 for an opportunity to ask about all things baby and child. Tea, coffee and morning tea provided. Play space and activities available for the little ones too. All families are welcome to come along and find out the answers to your burning questions in a safe and supportive environment. FREE. Time: 10:00AM.
- Toastmasters Meeting - Engage with Humour - We welcome members and guests to join us for our next meeting themed "Engage with Humour". Our meetings are held in the Quioba Room, Floor 1 of the Paranaple Centre. 7 PM – 9 PM. Hosted by Spirit of Devonport Toastmasters 0408188676.
WEDNESDAY 28TH AUGUST
- NW Film Society Film Night - The Keeper - This film is a 2018 film from UK/Germany. The Keeper tells the true story of Bert Trautmann, who against a backdrop of British post-war protest and prejudice, becomes a footballing icon playing in the 1956 FA Cup Final with a broken neck. Tickets are not sold on a movie by movie basis but you can join on the spot. Why not drop by our membership recruitment desk that is always in the theatre foyer between 6:00 and 6.30 pm at each of our film shows. See our website www.nwfs.org.au Fb – nwfilmsociety or phone 0431 484 727
- Hydro Tasmania drop-in community sessions - Hydro Tasmania is inviting residents to drop-in information sessions in Sheffield at Sheffield Town Hall, Wednesday, 28 August from 5.30pm - 8.30pm. The information sessions are your chance to come along and learn more about pumped hydro, ask questions and talk with the project team. Find out more - https://www.hydro.com.au/pumped-hydro.
THURSDAY 29TH AUGUST
- Shake & Stir theatre co production Roald Dah’s Revolting Rhymes & Dirty Beasts- bursts off the page in a spectacular live show rearranging the world’s best loved fairy tales TONIGHT at the Paranaple arts centre..
- Railton Community Information Evening - Council will hold a community information evening to provide and receive information about the Railton area on Thursday, 29 August 2019 from 7.00pm at Railton Kings Hall, Latrobe Road, Railton. Please feel free to raise any local issues that you may wish to discuss. All residents from Railton and surrounding areas are invited to attend. A light supper will be provided. Please contact Leigh Gracie on 6491 0200 for further information.
- Online Research and Tour of the Devonport Library - In this session you will learn about Wikipedia and what it means for research, accessing databases and trusted online research sites. We will visit some of the online eResources available through Libraries Tasmania and have a tour of the library to identify different resources and collections that can help you with research. This session will be an informative session with a casual relaxed atmosphere. 1 PM – 2:30 PM Devonport Library 137 Rooke Street Devonport.
FRIDAY 30TH AUGUST
- Sharon Applebee is going to have her hair shaved off to raise money for the Devonport Make a Wish Foundation! This will be on Friday the 30th of August during the Trivia Night at the Devonport Football Club. You can visit her every day hero page on Facebook for donations. Trivia will start at around 6:30PM and Sharon will shave her hair during the trivia half time break! Trivia Details: $10 per person-table of 8 players. BYO Nibbles. Booking Essential Contact Pauline at 0409269318.
- Devonport Warriors Sock Disco - For all Primary School age kids....Grade 1 to 6! Come along to our Fluoro Sock Dance......wear your craziest socks, participate in competitions and dance till you can't dance anymore! $5 entry fee, drinks provided, snacks and glow sticks available for purchase. Fully supervised by club volunteers and Board members. Strictly no pass outs and all children must be signed in and out by parents. In the Youth Centre adjacent to the stadium. 6:30-8:00PM Devonport Warriors Basketball News Forbes Street Devonport.
SATURDAY 31st AUGUST
- Deloraine House Celebrating 30 Years. Deloraine House is celebrating 30 years of supporting the Meander Valley Community on Saturday the 31st of August between 11am and 2pm. The house will be open for free food and drinks, musical entertainment, children’s activities as well as historical house displays and a fun discussion panel of days gone by. Everyone is welcome and we would love to see you and hear your stories and memories of your local community house. Phone 6362 2678 for more information.
- Trivia Night & Auction Fundraiser for Abbey Boon and Monique Booth from the Central Coast Weightlifting Club Inc. have been selected in the Tasmanian team to represent the State in the 2019 Australian Weightlifting Federation Youth & Under 15 Weightlifting Championships to be held in Queensland in September. A Trivia Night & Auction is being held to raise money to assist in the cost of airfares and accommodation for Abbey and her mum Kellie, and Monique and her mum Sam to travel to Queensland for Abbey & Monique to participate in this event. 7:00PM to 10:30PM at the Spreyton Cricket Club. Tickets $10. For more details, visit their FB page @abbeyandmonique.
SUNDAY 1st SEPTEMBER
HAPPY FATHERS DAY TO ALL DAD’S!!!!
- Dora and the Lost City of Gold | Afternoon Adventure - Bienvenido! Join us for a special event advance screening on Sunday September 1, with free family activities before the movie! Tickets on sale now at https://readingcinemas.com.au/movie/6976! 2:30 PM – 4:30 PM at the Reading Cinemas Devonport.
- Learn About Technology for FREE! Learn about technology for FREE during Adult Learners' Week at Devonport Online. Heard about Facebook but not sure how to get started? Or perhaps you just want someone to show you some of the basics. Our friendly staff can help you to setup Facebook and learn how to use it. Come along to our free workshop to learn more about Facebook, have a cuppa and meet some new people at the same time! Bookings are essential. For bookings or more information give us a call on 0444 525 434 or drop in and see us. Devonport Online is located in the paranaple centre, up on level 1, beside the escalator.