Advertisement

Healthscope to switch operations – but Hobart Private sale to go ahead regardless

February 19, 2026 6:30 am in by Judy Augustine

The sale of the Hobart Private Hospital will proceed, despite provider Healthscope moving to a not-for-profit model and retaining most of its hospitals.

Late last year provider, Calvary confirmed the acquisition of the Hobart Private Hospital, after Healthscope went into receivership.

Because of Calvary’s Catholic background, the sale led to concerns about the provision of certain procedures which have been refused on religious grounds, including ivf, surgical terminations and gender affirming care.

Article continues after this ad
Advertisement

Earlier this month, Healthscope’s receivers McGrath Nichol confirmed the organisation would be transition to a not-for-profit model, retaining 31 hospitals as a new organisation.

“The non-denominational charitable structure will ensure surpluses are reinvested back into hospitals to support excellent patient care and choice, employee engagement and wellbeing, and the continued provision of market leading healthcare services,” Healthscope said in a release earlier this month.

“This organisation would be the largest not-for-profit private hospital operator in Australia, providing stability to Australia’s hospital system.”

The Hobart Private Hospital will still be sold to Calvary, its one of six which will be either transferred or sold.

“Each agreement provides for the continuity of employment and service for employees at each hospital,” they said.

Article continues after this ad
Advertisement

Healthscope will operate under the new model by mid-2026.

Advertisement